5 Non-Food Ways To Boost Digestion
Did you know that stress is one of the main causes of poor digestion? Of course food matters, but optimal digestion involves more than what’s on your plate. To improve digestion, I recommend integrating these 5 non-food related activities:
- Get outside. Interact with animals. Be in nature. You need time to remember who you are. Strengthen your connection to the divine source and your nervous system relaxes, preparing you for optimal digestion.
- Focus on HOW you eat. Resist eating fast. Panicked eating is stressful eating. Slow down. Savor. Stress chemistry is a major reason for poor digestion. It’s crucial to reverse that and give your body a chance and eat when you’re calm.
- Hang out with healthy, happy people. Being around strong positive energy improves your “happiness chemistry.” Improving your chemistry makes your belly happy too. When your body is chronically stressed, peristalsis slows and digestion is down-regulated, causing stomach aches & constipation. Happy friends = happy bowels.
- Chill in the tub. Pick up extra oatmeal or Milky Oat Tops. If your skin is dry and your GI is knotted up, it’s going to love soaking in the moisturizing & smooth muscle relaxing benefits of oats. Avena Sativa is rich in B vitamins and calms the nervous system as well as the soft muscle tissue surrounding your organs. This bath is more than skin deep.
- Put a warm castor oil pack on your belly. Castor oil is a traditional remedy for softening skin tissue, dissolving unwanted growths and keeping energy moving. Putting a castor oil pack on your belly for about 20-40 minutes every day (for 1-2 week intervals) helps calm GI inflammation as well as providing additional stress relief.
Remember, healthy digestion is not just about macronutrients. It’s about HOW you live. Try one or more suggestions for a month and let me know. It’s important to actively participate in activities that down-regulate the effects of stress.
If you liked this article, please share it. To a healthy, happy belly!